Re: [Ekiga-list] Connection Issues

On 12/07/11 10:53, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:
On 11/07/11 02:10 AM, Jonathan Daily wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to use Ekiga (Arch Linux 64bit) as an alternative to Skype.
I have set up a sip account on Ekiga.net, and registered the account
inside of Ekiga. The program will tell me that the account is
registered, but will not connect to any of the test calls. I have
tried adding the NAT settings to my router to no avail. I'm hoping
that I have just missed something obvious. I ran a debug as per the
wiki, which can be found at:

http://pastebin.com/00Sn12t3

Does anyone know what my issue is?

Hi Jonathan,

Without looking at the debug output (I'm not a developer) but attempting
the echo test myself it appears to be down - yet again. I'm afraid it

You are right, Dave, in the output above the problem is that echo test is down.

has become pretty unreliable, and in my experience I'm hitting about
problems 50 percent of the time I want to perform an echo test. The
amount of work an unreliable test call service generates is frustrating,
from folks such as you and me and new users who assume perfectly
reasonably enough it might be a configuration issue.

I agree with you. In August/September Damien should update Kamailio server on ekiga.net, and hopefully this will fix the echo test breaks.

What you could do is register for a SIP account at something like
Sip2Sip: https://mdns.sipthor.net/register_sip_account.phtml

Calling their echo test (sip:4444 sip2sip info) works fine from Ekiga at
the moment - at least this way you can rule out NAT traversal issues and
the like. If you want to attempt a test call Ekiga.net to Ekiga.net,
feel free to contact me off list.

Good idea.