Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga on Ubuntu using DSL

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:54:44 +0100
Eugen Dedu <Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr> wrote:
> Chris Vine wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:30:06 +0000
> > Chris Vine <chris cvine freeserve co uk> wrote:

> >> I am not using karmic.  Can you please post the patch here and I
> >> will recompile libopal.
> >
> > And could you also state whether libopal as patched is binary
> > compatible: that is, do I also need to recompile ekiga?
>
> No, you do not need to.
>
> More generally: An application needs recompiling only when its
> interface changes.  That's the reason why on every machine you can
> update the system, sometimes only a library is updated, but all the
> applications depending on it see the change.

This is a C++ library where the most trivial changes can break binary
compatibility.   Interface changes won't if they only comprise
additional non-virtual methods, otherwise they will.  Having no
interface changes will still break compatibility if class membership
changes.

Anyway, on looking at the patch there are no interface modifications of
any kind, nor change of class membership, so we look to be OK.

Chris