Re: [Ekiga-list] Client compatibility with ekiga.net

Hi

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Eugen Dedu
<Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr> wrote:
> palama inwind it wrote:
>> Thank you for your prompt answer, Eugen.
>> Is this behaviour of ekiga.net specified by the standard or is it a choice that the standard leaves to the server and client designers?
>
> Since there was a post in the mailing list about another SIP server
> which does not need NAT (so it uses private addresses in Contact field),
> I am pretty sure that it is a choice by ekiga.net administrator, but I
> do not know the reason and details.

I think it's perfectly sound to reject REGISTER requests with private
addresses in Contact field. At least for INVITEs etc RFC3261 requires
that the contact is reachable from anywhere. However, Section 10.3
states that the "registrar MUST not generate 6xx responses." Which is
what ekiga.net does. Also, the second REGISTER with public IP in
contact but private IP in Via should succeed - there is nothing in the
standard that prohibits private IPs in Via (and there's received and
rport parameters for sending back responses).

--
Ian