Re: [Ekiga-list] Outbound use with routers and firewalls

Sorry, I'm subscribed to the digest only, and don't seem to be able to reply to a message.

> To: Ekiga list <ekiga-list gnome org>
> Subject: [Ekiga-list] Outbound use with routers and firewalls

> Can you please clarify about using Ekiga with firewalls and routers?
> One would assume that it works for OUTgoing calls without any special
> provision for firewalls and routers.

I'm pretty sure I have a definitive answer.  I installed version 3.2.6, and it consistently passed the echo test with several sites.  I have a Linksys WRT54GL, with no special provision for SIP--no ports open for incoming calls.  I did not use STUN.  Ubuntu Karmic was used with the firewall in default (ports closed) condition.

Documentation is vague on this point.  Discussions on the Internet are even more vague.  You do not need STUN or specially opened ports for outgoing calls.

Unfortunately, the Ekiga UI will not open most of the time, so it's still useless.