Re: [Ekiga-list] Outbound use with routers and firewalls

> (1) Do I need to make a special provision for firewalls and routers to make
> calls?

Have you tried http://www.google.com/search?q=ekiga+firewall ?

As I mentioned in an email about a week ago, Twinkle works in one
environment where Ekiga doesn't. I don't know why yet (it's quite a
broken network in other respects), I'm just using Twinkle there and
intend to use a VPN to hopefully generally solve this and the missing
encryption problem (although a VPN might have it's own problems with
firewalls). It works out of the box in my home network (with a NAT
router running OpenWRT). Till recently, I've only used Twinkle for
quite some time and that worked in most wifi networks I tried it in,
dunno if Ekiga would have been different. The only network where
neither of the two programs worked (like, receiving a call would only
work for ~60 seconds then stop), and nothing I tried helped, was at my
father's home (with a router that came from the dsl company).

> (2) Are there different requirements for different SIP providers, for
> example, Ekiga.net and Diamondcard.us?

If you use Diamondcard then your interest is probably callint to/from
the normal phone network; which, if yes, implies that Diamondcard is
the only IP address that is going to call you, incidentally being (I
think) the same IP your computer is connecting to for
authentication/outgoing calls. Which means it may be easier
firewalling-wise to reach you. (I haven't tested this hypothesis,
though, exactly because of lack of SIP testing partners.)

Ch.