[Ekiga-list] Outbound use with routers and firewalls

Can you please clarify about using Ekiga with firewalls and routers?  One would assume that it works for OUTgoing calls without any special provision for firewalls and routers.  In fact, I can attest that it _sometimes_ works with an echo test without any special provisions (no ports opened).  (But most of the time it doesn't work at all.)

So:
(1) Do I need to make a special provision for firewalls and routers to make calls?
(2) Are there different requirements for different SIP providers, for example, Ekiga.net and Diamondcard.us?