Re: [Ekiga-list] Bad sound quality because of missing low passfilter

Actually another correction, too: replace the perl part with:

perl -we 'while (read STDIN, $buf, 6*2) { print substr $buf,0,2 }'

(since I'm using mono, and the word width of the samples is 2 bytes
not 4, duh; funny I actually didn't hear any difference).

Now here's how I actually kind of solved the problem for me: I've
installed OSS4 (and removed ALSA for the time being). And in fact with
that it sounds fine.

Note: I found mixer configuration of OSS4 quite horrible, it took me
more than an hour and the help from people in #oss to get it to record
from my external mic and output to my headphones (they say that it's
because HD audio hardware, which is what I have, is complicated), but
at least the result sounds good now. (Maybe I didn't listen carefully
in ALSA, but now that I test with the perl commandline part to
artificially break the downsampling, I can clearly hear a difference
between the first bogus variant of it and the above fixed one; maybe
ALSA has even broken *output* of sound, too).

Cheers
Christian.