Re: [Ekiga-list] ekiga only listens on localhost for incoming sip connection

On 06/21/10 02:55, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
Hello.

In my homeoffice I am the only person who need to receive video phone
calls from colleagues in uptown office. My home office network is behind
a single NAT firewall (DSL router), so I guess setting up port-fowarding
on the router to forward the a few ports needed by ekiga, and tell my
colleague to call me using sip:123.116.115.109 is the easiest setup. IP
address doesn't change, thus usually my colleague should reach me. I
hope by doing so I could avoid the complicated setup of STUN and ekiga
account and so like, which troubled me for a few days and left me clueless.

My problem: I found when ekiga starts, it listens on sip connection from
local host.

$ netstat -ul | head -n8
激活Internet连接 (仅服务器)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
udp        0      0 *:domain                *:*
udp        0      0 *:41017                 *:*
udp        0      0 *:828                   *:*
udp        0      0 *:39614                 *:*
udp        0      0 *:bootps                *:*
udp        0      0 localhost:sip           *:*

man netstat:
   Local Address
Address and port number of the local end of the socket. Unless the --numeric (-n) option is specified, the socket address is resolved to its canonical host name (FQDN), and the port number is translated into the corresponding service name.

   Foreign Address
Address and port number of the remote end of the socket. Analogous to "Local
       Address."

I think you "mis-exchanged" local (...) and foreign (*:*) address.

I believe this setup won't let my colleague reach me through sip
protocol, the expected behavior is that it should listen to *:sip
instead of localhost:sip, at least with my knowledge on TCP. I am also
confused why sip is not listened on TCP and if it is necessary at all.

In ekiga, SIP is only on UDP.