Re: [Ekiga-list] ekiga client startup sequence - all contacts sent to the server.

Le vendredi 08 janvier 2010 à 18:21 -0500, Eugene Kanter a écrit :
> Eugen,
>
> Your explanation makes no sense whatsoever. It is the same as email
> client like evolution sending an entire contact list to an email
> server upon startup.

Your comparison is not right:
Your email client do not support the "presence" feature.
By definition, presence means you must inform your contacts about your
status.

I see 3 possibilities about this regarding privacy:
- you turn off presence (e.g. setting it to "offline" in Ekiga, but this
is not available yet). It should be possible to add this feature for a
low coding cost... I consider implicit for the user to understand, if
"offline" is available in the client, other presence's possibilities are
not privacy safe.
- Adding more features for privacy:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-simple-simple-05#section-2.3
But this is not simple work to implement it and it involves hard work on
client, server and usability.
- You get rid off the central server and use a new protocol based on
peer-to-peer. There is no standard yet for this, but an effort is going
on this: http://www.p2psip.org/ This is even more work...

Best regards,
Yannick