Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga on Ubuntu using DSL 302G D-Link modem

mat101 wrote:

> I have a DSL 302G D-link modem and I've been trying to get Ekiga voip
> working on ubuntu 8.10 without any luck, and I was wondering whether
> anyone might be able to solve this problem.
>
> I have tried setting NAT Rule Entries for various ip numbers I thought
> might be the fixed ip of my router (tried 10.1.1.1, 10.1.1.10, etc.) and
> included the requisite Ekiga ports in the NAT Rule Entries (3478-3479,
> 5000-5100, 1720), but still no sound or video.
>
> When I start Ekiga I manage to register my Ekiga SIP account without a
> problem, but I can't communicate with anyone. The various test SIP
> addresses that are supposed to playback sounds also don't work for me.
>
> The 'NAT Traversal Method' of my Ekiga installation is set to STUN, and
> the 'STUN Server' is set to 'stun.ekiga.net'.
>
> Irrespective of the NAT Rule Entries I've used, running Ekiga's druid and
> clicking 'Detect NAT Type' always results in the detection of a 'Symmetric
> NAT' and Ekiga's suggestion to change it to a 'Cone NAT'. I've never been
> able to obtain a Cone NAT.
>
> I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
> I attempted to get my router ip number by running cmd.exe/ipconfig on XP
> (another partition on the same computer system) and obtained the following
> output:
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
>        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.10
>        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
>        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
>
> Some sites claim the above ipconfig output indicates my router ip number
> is 10.1.1.1, and yet other sites claim it is 10.1.1.10. Some have even
> suggested my router ip number should be 192.168.15.1. This is all very
> confusing.
>
> As I want to use Ekiga with my DSL 302G modem on ubuntu, I was wondering
> if anyone has some valuable advice that would help me get Ekiga working
> with this modem on ubuntu.
>
> Thank you.

A note to indicate that I now have Ekiga 2.0.12 working on ubuntu 8.10 via a
DSL 302G modem without having to configure port-forwarding or NAT Rule
Entries for the modem.

This was achieved by following the advice of others in this thread to use an
iptel.org sip account.

I have the 'NAT Traversal Method' of Ekiga set to 'None', and the 'STUN
Server' entry field is empty.

Sound and video are functioning well. Unfortunately text chat is not
working, but this is a minor obstacle.

Thanks to all who took the time to provide helpful advice.