Re: [Ekiga-list] registration fails immediately if STUN is not used

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:39:51AM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:18:54AM +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Le lundi 15 février 2010 à 15:36 -0500, Rob Owens a écrit :
> >
> > > I think this is a new problem...  Registration to my ekiga.net account
> > > fails immediately if I choose not to use STUN.  I'm experimenting with a
> > > local SIP proxy which requires me to turn off STUN.
> > >
> > > I've tested this on another LAN with no SIP proxy and no special
> > > settings, so I think it's a problem on ekiga.net's end.
> > >
> > > Can anybody confirm?
> >

> > Without STUN, you appear as being NATted, which won't work. The behavior
> > is normal.
> > However, you can logically register with STUN enabled on a local proxy.
> > If the proxy is local on the LAN, STUN won't be used when communicating
> > with it, even if enabled.
> >
> Are you saying that all my clients should have STUN enabled?  Or that I
> tell my proxy to use STUN?

I just tried enabling STUN on all my clients.  They can make outgoing
calls, but incoming calls do not work correctly (they give the
impression that they have connected, but there is no sound or video from
the remote user).

On the other hand, when a remote user called in using my iptel.org
address, the call connected properly.

I'm using Ekiga 2.0.12 and siproxd 0.7.0 on a non-gateway machine.

-Rob