Re: [Ekiga-list] ekiga-list Digest, Vol 38, Issue 13

Hi all
I'm wondering about experiences in using Ekiga in Australia and what the
total costs of calls within Aus are please.
TIA
Roger

Hello, Roger.

I have Ekiga installed and setup, on Ubuntu 8.04, and have tested it
with a webcam, for making video calls, and, that is all okay, but I
don't know anyone else with Ekiga, for me to communicate with, to try it
for live calls.

I am with Optus, with ADSL quota of somewhere around 15GB per month. I
notice that your email address shows that you are with Bigpond.

Without knowing what your quota is, I have no idea as to whether you
have the capacity for video calls (which was the main reason for me
getting the webcam and Ekiga installed, for communicating with friends
and relatives overseas).

> From what I understand, if you use Ekiga to communicate with another
person using Ekiga, across the Internet, using video calls, no charges
apply (unless one party to the call, incurs charges for exceeding the
bandwith quota). If I am wrong in that, perhaps someone from Ekiga,
could correct me.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

I'm on a 12 gig plan but don't intend to use video, just voice.
You're right about calls to other Ekiga users, it's calls to skype users that I want to know the costs of first hand from the people who do this. Unfortunately the few that I need to talk to are windows, apple, skype users. I'm Linux Fedora 11.

On the Diamond card site it looks like they charge 19 cents per minute for calls within Australia unless I'm reading it wrong, that's not cheap.
I'd love to be corrected on this.

Roger
Welshpool
Victoria