Re: [Ekiga-list] seeking good VOIP provider to replace Skype

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Evan R. Murphy <evanrmurphy gmail com> wrote:
> 2009/5/6 Jake B <otakuj462 gmail com>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm currently examining the feasibility of replacing Skype with Ekiga. Right
>> now, I'm using SkypeOut with a monthly plan that offers unlimited calling to
>> landline phones in North America for $3/month. I think this is a very
>> competitive rate, and I was wondering if anyone was aware of a VOIP provider
>> that offered a similar plan (monthly, unlimited to North America) and
>> similar rates.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. Thanks,
>>
>> Jake
>
> Hey Jake,
>
> I'm not immediately aware of a VoIP provider who could offer unlimited
> calling to landline phones as part of a monthly plan with Ekiga. But
> I'm also kind of new to this, so maybe someone can correct me. What I
> do know is that Diamond (http://tinyurl.com/dx2bs9), a recommended
> provider for Ekiga, offers better pay-as-you-go rates to the US than
> SkypeOut. Compare Diamond's $0.016 with SkypeOut's $0.024 after the
> value added tax (http://tinyurl.com/cysfq7).

There are several third-party VOIP services which offer cheaper
services than Skype,
and offer SIP support so that you can use your favorite softphone, like Ekiga.

For example, VoipBuster Pro (1 year subscription, €15; there is a
connection fee),
http://www.voipbusterpro.com/en/
http://progx.ch/home-voip-clone-3-1-14.html

In order to test before you buy (1 minute test calls), create an account at
http://www.justvoip.com/en/websignup.php
and configure Ekiga according to
http://progx.ch/home-voip-clone-3-1-15.html
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/List_of_PC_to_phone_providers