Re: [Ekiga-list] echo canceller

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:53:43PM +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le dimanche 11 janvier 2009 ?? 17:39 +0100, Konrad Karl a ??crit :
> > On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:02:16PM +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > > Le samedi 10 janvier 2009 ?? 13:05 +0100, Judith Meili a ??crit :
> > <email> Perhaps there could be some audio threshold above which the
> > <email> microphone could be enabled unconditionally so some loud
> > <email> speak will make it to the other party.
> > <email>
> > <email> I did not try with both parties using speakers so far, perhaps this
> > <email> is asking for trouble...
> > <email>
> > <email> Comments welcome.
> >

> Wouldn't you get the same result if you enable silence suppression in
> Ekiga ?

I think this won't help. If I enable silence suppression then transmission
stops if the backgroud noise is below a certain level (pls correct me if
I am wrong, just guessing from a few experiments some days ago)

If you use no headset then the audio from the speakers will find its way
into the mike with sufficient level to produce very noticeable echos. My
guess about skype behavior is that skype just reduces mic gain (or even
mutes it completely) whenever sound is being output from skype to the
external speaker(s).

Thus it may be difficult to interrupt a speaker who makes little
pauses but my impresson was that skype behaves much like a normal desktop
speakerphone if used w/o headset and there were only little audible
artifacts, mostly if both parties began to speak at about the same time.
One of them would "win" in this scenario.

Greetings,
Konrad