Re: [Ekiga-list] Handling of old-fashioned phone numbers

Hi,

I think you did a great job. Comments inside.

Le samedi 21 février 2009 à 17:27 +0100, Alec Leamas a écrit :
> Basically, I think this should not reside in a frontend like
> ekiga-callto, which is more like a prototype. There are some good
> reasons to integrate into the core application:
>
> - To make this functionality available also on Windows it's propably
> much better to have it in Ekiga. A dependency on gtk-python is actually
> not that nice in this environment (as opposed to Linux, where it's
> readily available from repos).
> - Integrating it into Ekiga should make it possible to use the same
> logic for numbers stored in PIM databases (e. g., Evolution)  which
> typically lacks countrycode. ( see
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/API::GmContact::PhoneNumbers)
> - Configuration becomes easier when the list of available accounts is
> could be accessed.
> - The many steps and windows used by frontend + Ekiga is, taken
> together, not a really nice UI. To integrate it into current UI should
> give a much better user experience.
>
> The ability to handle the everyday numbers we have around us is actually
> crucial for everyday use. This is an area where Skype shines. So should
> also Ekiga!
>
> The najor drawback as I see it is to introduce still more configuration,
> based on the idea that numbers should be expanded in a country-based
> context. On the other hand default values could be provided which should
> be fine for almost all users. And the idea that numbers are local to a
> country is intuitive and should not pose a problem for users.
>
> And, of course, there is work. But having a prototype is a start. I see
> most of the difficulties in modifying the UI. Actually, I havn't any
> real ideas about this...

If you do the back-end (as you have the most experience), we can do the
GUI (for Ekiga 3.4). Does that sound like a good idea for you?
--
 _     Damien Sandras
v_/_   Be IP           : http://www.beip.be/