Re: [Ekiga-list] registration failure

Hello Yannick / others,

It would seem sometimes it works, but often it does not. Yesterday, I got disconnected in the middle of a call and was not able to register even after restarting Ekiga.

Note: settings must have been OK; I had an active connection, and I did not change anything after loosing it.

Today, it worked again -- without changing any settings. Once. Then, I got disconnected, and right now, I am still unable to register to Ekiga.net (timeout). It would be nice if the status (being registered / not being registered) would somehow be visible in the GUI, after the status message "could not register sip:..." is gone. Just always "Standby" does not let me know whether I can place a call or not.

I upgraded to 3.2.5 because this happened to me with an older version, and because of the often misleading error messages in Ekiga, I thought it might be a version problem. After upgrading to Fedora 11 (fighting lots of problems with the Intel graphics driver...) and Ekiga 3.2.5, the same problem persisted.

Right now, with the "disable network detection" option unchecked, I always get a popup saying "Ekiga did not manage to configure your network settings automatically. You can still use it, but you need to configure your network settings manually. Please see http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enable_port_forwarding_manually for instructions" -- which I followed weeks ago, but that popup keeps bugging me.

I also noted that, in .gconf/apps/ekiga/general/nat/%gconf.xml, the "public_ip" address is almost always wrong (does not match what my DSL router reports), so there may appear to be a problem with STUN?

For me, Ekiga is in a "proof of concept" status. In order to reach "production grade", it needs to become reliable next.

Oh, and I am badly missing the volume controls that apparently have been removed from Ekiga's user interface. I am using a separate soundcard for the headset, so accessing the controls for this card through pulseaudio is somewhat cumbersome because it is NOT the default output. It would have been useful if the "in" and "out" volume sliders that I used to know from an older Ekiga version would still be available.

Is there any chance for these things to improve again, after regressing from my previous 2.something version to 3.2.5?

Andreas

Thanks Yannik,