Re: [Ekiga-list] Looking for Quicknet card SIP client

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Derek Smithies <derek indranet co nz> wrote:
> Hi,
>   You mention the IXJ driver.. Which implies linux..
>
> I worked on a rewrite of the IXJ driver and called it nixj.
>
> IXJ contains horrible races, and is not SMP safe.
>
> IXJ has been ported to the 2.6 kernel series. I think it is fair to say that
> the driver has been ported to the 2.6 kernel api, but not tested.
>
> If you want to use nixj - you will do best with redhat 9.0 kernel..
>  nixj was developed on rh9.
>
> the quicknet cards were horrible for sound quality. They did not have the
> dynamic range of a normal sound card.
> I was once involved in a commercial project with  quicknet cards. The cards
> were connected to an external mic&speaker.
> Users had to be careful to speak at the right volume. too loud or too quiet
> - and the card did not pick up the audio, or garbled it.
> Replaced quicknet cards with cheap sound cards - much better.
> Users could whisper - or shout - and the audio still got through..
>
> So - why do you want to use quicknet cards?
>  *Ability to do g729 or g723?
>   Get a software codec - they are available for linux.
>  *Ability to do DTMF decoding?
>   The cards were not reliable - I had cases where it gave an answer
>    that was 1 less than correct..
>   ptlib has dtmf detection routines that work just fine.
>
> One last thing:
>  The card does not generate interrupts. The driver has to busy check for
>  audio packets from the card. You will get gaps in the audio.
>

> I am sorry, but quicknet is a bad way to go. Very Very Very Very bad.

I've two quicknet cards but can not make it work with ijx module.
Where can I download your nixj module? will work with kernel 2.6 ?

I remember that with the older gnomemeeting the quicknet card was
recognized and worked very well with h.323.

> What I want to do now is continue to use the one analog wall phone in the kitchen without
> going through the hassle of buying yet another FXS/O? adapter since I already have one in
> my junk box. I've used this linejack board before on h323 calls to friends in asia and it
> worked ok, maybe not great but well enough.

I think it is posible using an older gnomemeeting version and
installing one pbx like asterisk with chan_h323.so to give the h.323
support.

Best regards,

--
Linux User: 255902