Re: [Ekiga-list] where/how to get help for a user having problems getting Ekiga to work?

Eugen Dedu <Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr> writes:

> Joe Wells wrote:
>> A friend of mine who lives in Athens, Greece is having problems
>> getting Ekiga to work to call me from a Windows XP computer.
>>
>> Where can my friend find someone to help with configuration and
>> debugging in order to successfully use Ekiga?  Is there an Ekiga users
>> group in Greece?  Is there an online support forum (other than this
>> mailing list) for ordinary Ekiga users who have no computer expertise?
>> Is there someone who lives in Athens who would be willing to help?
>>
>> Thanks for your time in considering this question!
>
> Tell him to test the latest version from
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Windows_Users (the ...7316.exe)

Okay, we will upgrade.  My friend was using the version from that page
from a couple of weeks ago (I think that was 3.0.1beta-7205).

However, I doubt this will make any difference.  My friend is having
problems (probably just configuration problems) and is not able to
clearly describe them to me over the ordinary telephone.  And I think
it would be a bit expensive for me to travel to Athens to fix things
personally.  Is there anywhere we can get help other than this mailing
list?  Is there any way to get someone who is physically in Athens to
help out?

>> Oh, one more question:  Is there any way to get a automated call-back
>> test?  There are various SIP addresses listed on the wiki where one
>> can test outgoing calls, but I couldn't find anything that would call
>> a ekiga.net address to test that it was working.  (And I don't have an
>> easy way to test my particular configuration with two computers,
>> because I am behind a NAT at home.)
>
> 500 ekiga net

Yes, I can call that number fine.  I've tested with that number many
times.

However, I am looking for a completely different kind of test.  I want
to verify that my ekiga.net SIP address can be successfully called.
Is there an automated service for doing this kind of test, or do I
have to get a human to test it for me?

--
With my best regards,

Joe

  “This ‘telephone’ has too many shortcomings to be seriously
  considered as a means of communication.  The device is inherently of
  no value to us.”
          -- Western Union memo, 1877