Re: [Ekiga-list] Newbie ekiga Linux problems

"Oisin Feeley" <oisin feeley gmail com> writes:

> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Mark T.B. Carroll <mark ea ixod org>
> wrote:
(snip)
>> When I start ekiga, it tells me I won't be able to receive incoming
>> calls. However, it just says 'Error while starting the listener ...' and
>> 'check no other program is running on the port used ...' without saying
>> anything about what the error was or what port it's talking about! Not
>> that I'm aware of any reason why anything else would be listening on
>> such ports:
>
> Have you tried:
> 1. Making sure that Ekiga is trying to use the correct network interface:
> Edit -> Preferences -> Protocols -> Network Settings -> Network Interface:
> ListenOn

Good idea. It is using the correct interface.

> 2. That your firewall is set up correctly.  The wiki
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router has a wealth of
> information on the topic (although the first-time setup GUI should have
> given you information about it you can run it again by
> Edit -> Configuration Druid

I have it set to use STUN with stun.ekiga.net - might that not suffice?
The NAT test thing said "Port Restricted NAT".

Mind you, I'm about to change ISP, and I could compile SIP and H.323
support into my NAT box - might that fix the error I saw? I'm just kind
of surprised from the error message that ekiga gave that it didn't seem
to be able to distinguish between errors caused by ports already being
taken on my local machine so that it couldn't bind to them, and errors
caused by needing to forward ports on a separate router!

(And, of course, it still doesn't see my camera, although previous
versions of things did, and mplayer still does. ): )

> 3. You can get more information by running ekiga from the command line with
> the highest debugging level "ekiga -d 4"

Aha, that might tell me what I've been complaining about missing,
thanks. (-:

Mark