[Ekiga-list] no sound or video during connected call (but it connects fine!)

I can connect, I hear a ring and a dial beep when I either call or receive a call, and 500 ekiga net works fine for both audio and video, for both callers (multiple callers have tested). Yet when I am connected with a real person I hear nothing, they hear nothing, and I see nothing, they see nothing but our own respective video feeds. Any ideas?