Re: [Ekiga-list] Debian packages

Eugen Dedu wrote:
> There are two solutions:
> - either stay as we are now.  Note that only gnome-desktop-environment
> is removed (+old pwlwib/opal), not 47 packages!!
> - or do not use ekiga-snapshot anymore, but ekiga (while ptlib and opal
> are still named -snapshot, to avoid soname problems).  Note that this
> will not be intrusive or conflict with debian package, because the
> version will be carefully chosen.

What about a third solution, namely adding a "provides" statement to the
package definition of ekiga-snapshot? I.e. "Provides: ekiga".

See <http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics#s-depends>.

AFAIK this approach is widely used, one example is the thunderbird
package which has a "Provides: mail-reader".

HTH,
Hannes