Re: [Ekiga-list] Newbie configuration experiences...

Le samedi 20 décembre 2008 à 15:51 +0100, Alec Leamas a écrit :
> Terry Barnaby wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Indeed... there is no need to enable port forwarding for the RTP ports
> for the ST585 router. Thanks!
>
> This is nice, but also creates a strange feeling about this router.. is
> there anything else it forwards without letting me know?

The behavior is normal. It is actually a perfect router.

NAT is something bad, as it rewrites the packets. The problem with NAT
is that some protocols (like SIP) require you to change the private IP
address inside the SIP packet. A good NAT implementation should be able
to do it for most common protocols. Most NAT implementations can deal
with FTP transparently for you. Unfortunately, until recently, that was
not the case with SIP and you needed workarounds like STUN or port
forwarding.

But recently, more and more routers started to have a NAT implementation
that supports SIP. In that case, no port forwarding, no STUN are
required.

That is the perfect situation. Please note that it only forwards RTP
ports because it knows that is a connection you established yourself. It
is able to understand what happens.
--
 _     Damien Sandras
v_/_   Be IP           : http://www.beip.be/