Re: [Ekiga-list] port triggering rule in symmetric NAT router no longer works with Ekiga 3

Damien Sandras wrote:
Le mardi 16 décembre 2008 à 18:27 -0500, Andre Robatino a écrit :
My father has a symmetric NAT router, and when he was using Ekiga 2, we put a port triggering rule in his router which would trigger on port 3478 and open ports 5000-5100, as described in

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router

This allowed the Configuration Druid to see his router as Port Restricted NAT, and he could receive incoming calls (although for some reason, there was a roughly 3-minute delay after a call before incoming calls could get through).

Now he's using Ekiga 3, and whenever it starts, it says that Ekiga did not manage to configure the network automatically, so it has to be done manually, according to

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enable_port_forwarding_manually

My question is, why doesn't the port triggering rule suffice any more?

That is very weird, because the STUN support and the ports have not
changed. Are you sure Ekiga 2.00 still works with the same
configuration ?

We both migrated from Fedora 9 (with Ekiga 2.0.12) to Fedora 10 (with Ekiga 3.0.1), so we don't know whether 2.0.12 would have worked. But it's likely, since he never changed the router configuration.

We've determined that after starting Ekiga 3, it's impossible for him to make any calls unless he goes through the Configuration Assistant. He doesn't have to change anything, just click through all the screens (including leaving "Keep current settings" in the Connection Type screen). After doing this, he can make Ekiga echo test calls with audio/video working normally, but neither of us can call the other. (I can also make echo test calls normally, so the problem is probably not at my end.) And if Ekiga is restarted, it's necessary for him to go through the Configuration Assistant again just to get back to this state.