[Ekiga-list] port triggering rule in symmetric NAT router no longer works with Ekiga 3

My father has a symmetric NAT router, and when he was using Ekiga 2, we put a port triggering rule in his router which would trigger on port 3478 and open ports 5000-5100, as described in

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router

This allowed the Configuration Druid to see his router as Port Restricted NAT, and he could receive incoming calls (although for some reason, there was a roughly 3-minute delay after a call before incoming calls could get through).

Now he's using Ekiga 3, and whenever it starts, it says that Ekiga did not manage to configure the network automatically, so it has to be done manually, according to

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enable_port_forwarding_manually

My question is, why doesn't the port triggering rule suffice any more?