Re: [Ekiga-list] No Sound

Edward Dunagin-Dunigan
Bozeman, MT 59718
mobile 406-570-0992
Land line 406-556-7282
EKIGA: sip:edunagin ekiga net
http://doas.montanalinux.org

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:
> Le samedi 06 décembre 2008 à 20:00 -0500, Bill Collins a écrit :
>> I have spent considerable time researching the sound problem to no
>> avail. I now turn
>> to the true experts. I have listed as much as I know to help. If more
>> is needed
>> please advise. Also I'm a beginner at this.
>> tia
>> Bill Collins
>>
>> Dell Inspiron B130  1 gb ram
>> Ubuntu 8.04.1  GNOME ekiga 2.0.12
>>
>> Sound works perfectly well for movies and music.
>>
>> Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000
>>
>> Video works perfectly well. No sound. Using default audio input and
>> output but
>> did not get any sound return when speaking into microphone. Did "Test
>> 1 2 3 Ekiga Rocks" Nothing comes back.
>>

> Open your mixer (gnome-mixer or another one) and make sure that the
> recording source is set to the Mic entry. Your problem is a simple mixer
> settings related problem.
> --
>  _     Damien Sandras

That maybe so, BUT which mixer??? I use Linux, particularly
Ubuntu8.10. There are three different mixer settings on my system and
the only one I added was the Gnome-alsamixer. They all seem to effect
the system, so if one is set wrong, then all of it is wrong.

I am an old Linux user and I think this is the reason for all the
problems with sound, and it might be all the problems with video. So,
my advice is if you have more than one mixer and you probably do, make
sure they are ALL set to the settings that you want, sound and video.