Re: [Ekiga-list] Zphone

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 14:41:20 Jim Muchow wrote:
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> The first is that I have read that the Ekiga VoIP client is expected to
> support the ZRTP protocol. Is this still true? I'm just curious.
>
> Because the second question is why do I care? I mean, I've asked
> and looked around the net and I don't quite understand why VoIP
> encryption is necessary. I mean, I understand that encrypted
> communications are a good thing and a worthwhile goal, but VoIP
> traffic doesn't seem quite as, um, exposed to snooping concerns as
> say ftp/telnet vs sftp/ssh.

Any IP traffic is open for US government spying.  Even domestic-to-domestic
calls are subject to this because any or all of your packets could cross a US
border before coming back in (or the person you are calling is
international).

You VOIP traffic is VERY vulnerable to government snooping (without warrant),
somewhat less from common hackers.

I strongly WELCOME ZRTP support in ALL VoIP apps, including this one.  It is
just taking a long, long time.

praedor
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more
closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the