Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] On XCAP and resource-lists standards

yannick a écrit :
Simply put, I do believe XCAP technology is one way to reach the social
level IM client or VoIP client is meant to be. The goal is not only to
get working communication (text, audio and video and...) between 2
peers, it is to have a tool to manage/organise/deal with groups of
people. From a desktop usability point of view, this seems to be one of
the keys issue on the current discussion with free software, see this
e.g. http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/223 and this subsequent:
http://live.gnome.org/Boston2008/GUIHackfest/WindowManagementAndMore
And it seems people thinking about this are just _ignorant_ about the
current IETF work on this issue...

The RFC is here:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4825

I know about it... and you should also mention :
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4826
which describes resource-lists (lists of contacts).

I've started to read on the topic, but it will take time for me to
understand how this technology is meant to work. My preliminary and
mostly ignorant thought is: ekiga has to be "seriously compatible from
client to client". I do not know if we have to do it right-now or if we
can have something more hackish for a start...

Ekiga can't be seriously compatible : the only other resource-lists I have seen is eyebeam, and their document isn't 100% standard.

It is 100% standard-compatible, but it extended it... so that means a standard-following code (like my first version) would see the contacts with their names&uri, but not the groups/categories.

A serious compatibility between clients would have required a seriously thought standard, that is :
(*) something with the basics in it -- like groups/categories!
(*) something not overly complex -- come on! Recursive structures! They have to be kidding!

My second version does groups/categories by extending the standard too...