Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] ANNOUNCE - Ekiga 3.0.1 available

Hi Matthias!

Please quote only what's relevant, thanks.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:33:01 +0200, Matthias Schneider wrote:
>> Since now the GTK+ Project provides Windows binaries [2] (unfortunately
>> not yet as an installer), wouldn't be better to depend on those binaries
>> instead?  Or, since an installer is required, spreading the "GTK+ for
>> Windows Runtime Environment" [3].

> we are not actually building our GTK binaries, but taking them from
>
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gtk+

Thanks for the explanation: you're then using the libraries provided by
the GTK+ project :-D

> The "providing our own libraries" refers to no longer relying on a 3rd party
> installer. Instead, we now uncompress all GTK dlls and dependencies into
> the ekiga directory. The reasons for no longer using the installer are the
> many problems experiencied.

Maybe it's because I come from Debian where embedded libraries are evil,
but I really think that you (i.e. the Ekiga project) should speak with
other GTK+ projects and find an unique GTK+ Runtime Installer, then
stick with it.

Just my 0.02EUR, now I can hide...

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca