Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] ANNOUNCE - Ekiga 3.0.1 available

Hi there!

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:33:34 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> This is the first update the Scheherazade branch of Ekiga. We are still
> working on improving Ekiga.net and will keep you informed about the
> progress.
[...]
> Here is the list of changes:
>
> Windows build
> * Fixed crash when echo cancellation is active
> * Improved GTK installation by providing our own libraries

What's the reason for that?  I've already seen various projects
duplicating effort in maintaining embedded GTK+ libraries: while
Inkscape and Ekiga always install their own GTK+ version, GIMP and
Pidgin check if the required version is already installed or not and let
you choose [1].

Since now the GTK+ Project provides Windows binaries [2] (unfortunately
not yet as an installer), wouldn't be better to depend on those binaries
instead?  Or, since an installer is required, spreading the "GTK+ for
Windows Runtime Environment" [3].

FYI, on two different XP machines where I installed Ekiga-3.0.1beta-7205
and where GIMP-2.4 was already installed I got an error at Ekiga
startup, solved by removing Ekiga, GIMP and any other GTK+ installation
still present.  Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce it anymore :-(

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] this is what I understood from the tests I just performed
[2] http://www.gtk.org/download.html
[3] http://gtk-win.sourceforge.net/