Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] preliminary patch for X-Video support

Matthias Schneider <ma30002000 yahoo de> writes:

> Concerning the PIP issue, as Gregory already pointed out correctly every
> recent X graphics adaptor driver should support multiple overlays. In case
> the second overlay shouldnt be possible, my implementation simply doesnt
> display it.

Well sadly that's a bit overoptimistic. I only said that there existed some
graphics cards whose drivers provided multiple overlays. There are certainly
still cards, even brand new cards, whose drivers don't. Including, for
example, my brand new ATI :( It may just be because the driver is relatively
new or it may be a hardware limitation, I don't know.

Because the overlay is so much better it may be worth indicating to the user
when a window doesn't use an overlay. (preferably not in a popup window
though!). Otherwise the user may have no idea that disabling PIP would make
his display much smoother. (Or he may just say "ekiga PIP sucks" rather than
"my graphics card sucks but at least ekiga is making the most of it")

--
greg