Re: Any Plans for WAV support

Hi Steven

I am adding the mailing list back to the Cc, so that others may see any replies.

On 2015-01-08 09:32, Steven Andrews <scandrews1 verizon net> wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me.

I would be happy to look through my collection to see which format is used but don't know of any utility to
tell me what tags are in files.   Do you know of any tool to assist with that?

You could use exiftool to report on all the metadata in a file, and check which RIFF data is present:

exiftool -verbose -RIFF:All file.wav

The above command should print out the RIFF metadata (stored inside the WAV container format) in the file, if any exists. You can drop the "-RIFF:All" argument to show all metadata in the file.

If there is a LIST_INFO chunk, it refers to the INFO list inside a LIST chunk, and is the format described in the WAV specification. XMP metadata inside a RIFF chunk should be reported as such. Even though exiftool does not decode ID3 metadata inside RIFF chunks, it should show any ID3 tag that it finds as raw data (but only if it is embedded inside a chunk), which is only 1 of the 3 ways that ID3 data can be stored in WAV files.

I think that it is best to echo what Ran and J.B. have already suggested, and urge you to use a format such as FLAC, which has a well-specified (and supported) metadata format. EasyTAG will probably get support for certain types of WAV metadata eventually, but it is not a high priority at the moment.

--
http://amigadave.com/