Re: Packaging Issue?

David,

I realized that I missed details on my last.
For completeness:
Linux 3.13.6-1-ARCH x86_64 GNU/Linux
Xfce 4.10
Firefox 27.0.1

The .cache file will be regenerated whenever a new desktop file is installed and update-desktop-database is run, so you should instead edit either /usr/share/applications/mimeapps.list (for system-wide configuration changes) or ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list (for user-specific changes). The latter is probably what your MIME type editor uses.
And what if XFCE doesn't create/install a mimeapps.list file? I searched (find / -iname "mimeapps.list"), but this file does not exist on my system.
I'm going to have to dig to figure this one out.
The problem appears to be that installing a new .desktop file with the inode/directory MIME type causes EasyTAG to be given priority for the type, and it will open directories instead of the traditional "file manager" application.
And this makes sense when explained that way. Too bad we can put EasyTAG on the end of the list.
The easiest solution may be to remove inode/directory from the list of accepted MIME types.
This seems bad to me as this could break how other applications work. Am I wrong?
Alternatively, the desktop environment that you are using should be changed so that newly-installed applications do not "take over" the MIME type association. There is some discussion of this at the freedesktop.org MIME actions specification:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec/
And more reading for me.

Overall, this seems like an involved, frustrating bug that just won't go away all because people interpret written text/specifications differently. I sympathize with your pain. Judging by the detail of the response, I'm going to guess this has caused problems. Hopefully, as mail lists are archived, someone else will be searching for this type of problem and gain insight. Maybe a FAQ entry (with the disclaimer this is not an EasyTAG bug!) would be helpful?

I'll have to dig around some more to understand what's happening on my system.
Somehow, I'm just finding more questions...

Thanks for the detailed answer.
Regards,
Scott Furry