Re: EasyTAG 2.1.8 released

Hi David,

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:22:58 +0000 David King wrote:

Hi Alastair

On 2013-03-19 20:25, Alastair <ajebay errichel co uk> wrote:
I am a bit out of my depth here but a loyal Easytag user and thought I would upgrade.  I
was
using openSUSE 12.1 with KDE desktop.  Tried to install the latest version and "broke"
my
setup trying to install GTK+3.  Had to recourse to -devel repos and break dependencies to
the extent that I gave up.  I have now installed openSUSE 12.2 with KDE desktop and am
ready to try again with Easytag.  My my first question is what is LATEST-IS-2.1.8
please?
I think I understand the .tar.xz file is but the first one has me guessing.

As GTK+ 3.2.1 is included in updates to OpenSUSE 12.1, you should have been able to
install it and the remaining dependencies without upgrading to a newer version of your
distribution. The "LATEST-IS-x" file is a symlink to the latest source code tarball, in this
case easytag-2.1.8.tar.xz (if you are unsure about what a file is, you can run "file" on it,
which tries to automatically determine the file type). You can extract from the file as if it
were a tarball ("tar -xvf LATEST-IS-2.1.8").

An idiot's guide to installation would be much appreciated as I have been forced to use
previous version as the only one supported by openSUSE/packman  repo. and have had
some problems with it.

The "INSTALL" file in the tarball has some generic installation instructions, which should
give you a working version of EasyTAG, provided that you have the desired dependencies
installed. For stable releases, it is much better to rely on your distribution for packaging,
and
EasyTAG 2.1.8 is included in openSUSE Factory, so should be in the 13.1 version of the
distribution when it is released:

http://software.opensuse.org/package/easytag

You could probably even use one of the "unstable" packages listed on that page if you
want to do some testing.

Many thanks for the above.  If I get time I might try a short tussle with the download page
offering but what I need is to be up and running again so will report if I am successful but
else will stay with 2.1.7 or puddletag.

It will be a while before I upgrade to openSUSE 13.1 if ever as their new releases are
always flaky and full of unwanted and un-needed changes especially by the KDE outfit.
My trouble is I started with SUSE 8 and have been loyal out of habit.  Am likely to move to
Mint in future.

Thanks again for the pointers.
Regards,
Alastair.