Re: EasyTAG 2.1.8 released

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:44:08 +0000 David King wrote:

Hi Arnd

On 2013-02-27 08:59, Arnd <ttaapp gmail com> wrote:
Nice work!
I've got a question about the following:

David King <amigadave amigadave com> [Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:58:38 +0000]
* Port to and require the most recent GTK+ 2 release (2.24)

I maintain a few machines with older distributions. Unfortunately, the new
GTK requirement breaks compiling on them. Was it really necessary (in
terms of features) to use the latest GTK version? Is there a trick to
compile against older versions (ET-2.1.7 compiled without problems against
2.14.x)?

It was not absolutely necessary, but it made the GTK+ 3 port easier, with only a thin
compatibility wrapper and almost no ifdefs outside the wrapper. There are numerous bits
of
API that were added in response to "sealing" the GTK+ structures, which occurred in
various
releases from 2.16 to 2.24. While with a more invasive set of ifdefs and compatibility
wrappers it would be possible to avoid some (or maybe all) of the post-2.14 API, it is not
something that I would find particularly easy to test on a regular basis.

If you or someone else would come up with a patch that made it possible to build EasyTAG
against an older version, which did not add ifdefs outside the compatibility wrapper, I
might
merge it, but I think that instead it would be better to look forward to a post-2.1.9 release,
which would likely depend on GTK+ 3 and drop support for GTK+ 2 entirely.

I am a bit out of my depth here but a loyal Easytag user and thought I would upgrade.  I was
using openSUSE 12.1 with KDE desktop.  Tried to install the latest version and "broke" my
setup trying to install GTK+3.  Had to recourse to -devel repos and break dependencies to
the extent that I gave up.  I have now installed openSUSE 12.2 with KDE desktop and am
ready to try again with Easytag.  My my first question is what is LATEST-IS-2.1.8 please?
I think I understand the .tar.xz file is but the first one has me guessing.

An idiot's guide to installation would be much appreciated as I have been forced to use
previous version as the only one supported by openSUSE/packman  repo. and have had
some problems with it.

Grateful for help when somebody has a moment to spare.
Regards,
Alastair