Re: APIC tag description text

On 2013-03-13 21:44, Oliver <oliver joos freenet ch> wrote:
I agree that hidden Cover images are not worth your better way to solve
it. But don't you think that it's worth to change the default for APIC
descriptions to empty? Who needs a filename if the image is embedded
anyway? It's just a waste of bytes that decreases compatibility!

EasyTAG uses the description as the basename when saving an embedded picture, essentially performing the embedding operation in reverse. I do not think that it is worth changing the default picture description to be empty, but attached is patch which does so, if you want to apply it locally. It would be possible to add an option to control this behaviour, much like exists for setting a default comment.

ATM I do not know other failing examples than Symbian, MP3 Diags and
eyeD3. But in Q1/2011 26% of all sold smart phones ran on Symbian* (ok,
in Q1/2012 it fell down to 6.8%). Given that phones are used for several
years, maybe every 5th EasyTAG user who wants Cover images on his/her
phone is forced to click on Properties, select the mostly useless
description text, hit Enter and click Ok. Not to mention that he/she
must know all that in the first place. A more compatible default could
solve this without touching the well-implemented text encoding rules of
EasyTAG.

This does not seem very convincing to me, as it only avoids the case where a user embeds an image with a filename containing characters not in ISO-8859-1 into an MP3 file with ID3v2.3 tags, and then plays that file on a device that does not follow the ID3 specification. A generic solution would be fine, but a hack to avoid this specific case is not acceptable, especially as EasyTAG makes some effort to handle string encodings correctly.

--
http://amigadave.com/