Re: APIC tag description text

Am Mittwoch, den 13.03.2013, 15:04 +0000 schrieb David King:
I would suggest reporting the bug to the phone manufacturer, but I
suspect that it will not be fixed, so it may not be worth your time.

Definitely - Nokia has been assimilated by Microsoft.  :-(

That only avoids the problem until a character is entered in the
description which triggers writing that field as UTF-16. It seems that a
better way to solve this problem is to offer an override for the
encoding of the APIC description, and potentially other fields ...

I agree that hidden Cover images are not worth your better way to solve
it. But don't you think that it's worth to change the default for APIC
descriptions to empty? Who needs a filename if the image is embedded
anyway? It's just a waste of bytes that decreases compatibility!

ATM I do not know other failing examples than Symbian, MP3 Diags and
eyeD3. But in Q1/2011 26% of all sold smart phones ran on Symbian* (ok,
in Q1/2012 it fell down to 6.8%). Given that phones are used for several
years, maybe every 5th EasyTAG user who wants Cover images on his/her
phone is forced to click on Properties, select the mostly useless
description text, hit Enter and click Ok. Not to mention that he/she
must know all that in the first place. A more compatible default could
solve this without touching the well-implemented text encoding rules of
EasyTAG.

Still not convincing enough?  :-)
+++ Oliver

* Smart phone market shares: