Re: Unknown delimiter has created problem.

Hi Alastair

On 2012-12-28 13:38, Alastair <ajebay errichel co uk> wrote:
My problem is that when I write the tag using the filename in the scanner all looks well.
The Title tag appears as "Mozart - Don Giovanni, K527 Overtura" in Easytag.  However the
" - " sequence acts as a delimiter and separates "Mozart" from "Don Giovanni" when seen
by Minimserver or Twonky and it makes searching quite a problem because all the operas
appear just as "Mozart".

If I look at the file using Puddletag then the delimiter \\ is shown.

That is likely a feature of Puddletag, in order to show multiple tags in a single UI field.

The problem is I have several thousand files which I must now re-tag.

Two questions:
How can I correct this using the scanner in Easytag?  and;
Is this delimiter documented?.

If you check the EasyTAG preferences, you will find a group of settings for ‘Tag Splitting’ in the ‘Tag Settings’ tab. You can disable the splitting of Vorbis tags at the " - " with the options there. EasyTAG does not have comprehensive documentation, and this is not documented. The topic seems to come up every now and again, so it would be great to improve the current implementation, which hides the presence of separate tags in the UI.

What is correct format because I have been trying to apply multiple genre tags for ages and
never made it work because I didn't know the correct delimiter for EasyTag.

As you already discovered, " - " is the delimiter. If this does not work for the genre field, check the preferences to verify that tag splitting is enabled for genre fields.

--
http://amigadave.com/