Re: EasyTAG 2.1.8 released

Hi Oliver

On 2013-02-28 14:23, Oliver <oliver joos freenet ch> wrote:
I understand that dropping support for very old GTK+ releases is
reasonable. But please do not drop support for GTK+ 2! Desktops like
Mate and Xfce became quite popular meanwhile, and too many apps got
forked already. One united community of GTK2 and GTK3 users is more
beneficial for EasyTAG.

There are several GTK+ features that are available only with GTK+ 3 or above, such as GtkApplication, GtkAppChooser and GMenu (in GIO) so unless someone wishes to implement support for them for GTK+ 2 (and that person is not me, currently) I do not see an alternative to not using those features in EasyTAG.

What, specifically, is the problem with using GTK+ 3? It is a newer major version of GTK+, and can be installed in parallel with GTK+ 2, so I do not see how it will cause a problem to make EasyTAG support only GTK+ 3. Do you have some insight on what problems GTK+ 3 might bring?

So please shout out loud before you actually drop GTK+ 2 support!
I bet you will get enough help then.

It will be post-2.1.9, and there may even be another release after that with GTK+ 2 support before I switch to working solely on a version which only supports GTK+ 3. It is quite possible to keep a branch of EasyTAG 2.1.x which will maintain support for GTK+ 2, but I will probably only have time to apply bugfixes and not new features.

And thank you for 2.1.8! I hope I have time soon to upgrade.

Several distributions have now picked up 2.1.8 (and a few fixes) so hopefully you will be able to test it out soon.

--
http://amigadave.com/