Re: [Easytag-mailing] Problem with Various Composers and some Questions

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:07:52 +0000
Mark J Hewitt <mjh idnet com> wrote:

> However, for Classical genres, there are some interesting tagging
> suggestions available on the net.  For example, have you seen
> http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/itunes.htm ?  Or even the venerable
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ClassicalStyleGuide ?

Problem is not tagging of the files for classical music, the real
problem is that the whole system (tagging programs and last but not
least the music players) is based on pop music.

I have a large collection of flac files and I was forced to edit the
tags in such a way that these tags will be usefull when (dis)played on
an mp3 player (like a smartphone).

It would be great if there were an RFC for programming music players.
The MPPP (Music Player Programming Protocol) for instance. I'd suggest
that a player should (must?) choose a different (programmable) way of
displaying the tags depending on the "genre" field.

E.g., if the "genre" field contains "Pop", the player should
switch to:

- Artist (The Beatles)
- Album (Abbey Road)
- Title (Here comes the sun)

And if the "genre" field contains "Classical", the player should
switch to:

- Composer (Schubert)
- Type of work (Lieder)
- Work (Winterreise)
- Performer (Dieter Fischer-Dieskau, Gerald Moore piano)
- Title (Der Wegweiser)

This is also the most important order of searching music in a database
based music system IMHO.

The actual tagging system is very rigid and does not allow other usage
than pop music based tagging. Classical music suffers from this
situation and there may be many other music styles that do not fit into
this inflexible system.

Time to start an RFC :)

BTW: IIRC it was me some years ago who asked Jérôme to add the
"composer" field to Easytag, which he did fortunately.

Just my 2cts,

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht                                        |
| Public key and email address:                                    |
| http://www.lucassen.org/mail-pubkey.html                         |