Re: [Easytag-mailing] Album Artist

2011/12/8 richard lucassen <mailinglists lucassen org>:
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 17:26:04 +0100
> Johnny Rosenberg <gurus knugum gmail com> wrote:
>
>> > I set "Album Artist" to "test"
>> >
>> > $ metaflac --export-tags-to=-
>> > 01-01-Telemann-Du-aber-Daniel-gehe-hin--Sonata.flac TITLE=Sonata 1
>> > ARTIST=Gli Angeli Geneve
>> > ALBUM=Du aber Daniel gehe hin
>> > DISCNUMBER=01
>> > DATE=2007
>> > TRACKNUMBER=01
>> > TRACKTOTAL=17
>> > GENRE=Classical
>> > DESCRIPTION=Stephan Macleod, German Baroque Cantatas
>> > COMMENT=Stephan Macleod, German Baroque Cantatas
>> > COMPOSER=Telemann
>> >
>> > Where is this field stored?
>>
>> Tags in FLAC files are stored as text at the beginning of the file.
>> You can open a FLAC file with a hexadecimal editor, such as GHex2
>> (available in Ubuntu's repositories – you didn't mention what
>> distribution you have, though), and you will then see every tag there
>> is. If it's not there, it doesn't exist.
>
> I run "Debian testing", And indeed, they are stored there. Now that
> we're talking about storing tags: I see the cover (loaded from
> "cover.jpg") shows up as the filename. Is the cover a pointer to a file
> or is the image, in one way or the other, stored within the flac file?

I have always thought it is embedded into the FLAC file, but you can
test it easily:
Create a FLAC files with no tags or anything, for example by
converting a WAV to FLAC or creating one from scratch in Audacity or
similar.
Look at the file size (the exact number of bytes which you can get by
right clicking the file and click Properties).
Add an image to it and save. Look at the file size again. If it
increased with only a couple of bytes, it's most likely linked, if it
increased with very much more than that, it's embedded in the file.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ