Re: [Easytag-mailing] easytag genres

Hi

On 16/06/2010, Isaac Witmer <isaaclw gmail com> wrote:
> Is there anyway I can strip the files and then write the tags without
> loosing them and manually going through all 800 files?

Sorry Isaac, just realised the issue is the use of ID3v1 genre IDs in
ID3v2 tags.
Stripping the tags won't make any difference.

One way to do it is write ID3v2 genre with an explicit ID3v1 ref
followed by the text name in  IDv2.3 style:
  http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-42b02d20fb8bf48e38ec5415e34909945dd849dc
e.g.
Tag Hip-Hop as: "(7)Hip-Hop".

This makes easytag write text, and the genre is interpreted correctly
by Rhythmbox at least.

See Appendix A for Genre IDs:
  http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames

You'd need to process the Genre field for each genre you use that's in
the ID3v1 list.
e.g.
  Process Fields
  Genre
  Convert "Hip-Hop" to "(7)Hip-Hop"
  Uncheck all uppercase/lowercase conversions
  Process

On 16/06/2010, Random Mister <random mister gmail com> wrote:
>  I just looked into it and found a (dirty) fix for the problem. Note that
>  I did not test it very well, but it seems to work.
>  In the source code of id_tag.c you have to replace this line: (line 291)
>      genre_value = Id3tag_String_To_Genre(FileTag->genre);
>  with this:
>      genre_value = ID3_INVALID_GENRE;

Easytag is Doing the Right Thing according to 2.4.0.

>  I will look into a more permanent solution when a have the time.

An option, unchecked by default, to force text-only TCON fields?

ciao
  Mark