Re: [Easytag-mailing] UTF-8, id3lib and easytag

As far as I know, id3lib doesn't support Unicode properly (it has multitude of Unicode-related bugs which were hanging there for years) and therefore EasyTag cannot support Unicode tags properly either.

Rhythmbox uses libid3tag (a C-based ID3v2 reading library) which supports Unicode just fine (but all it does is reading tags, AFAIK, not writing) but Easytag in its current form is simply not fit for writing Unicode tags. You may either:

1. Use an Unicode-supporting tagger (any tagger based on TagLib: Amarok, JuK / iTunes / Windows Media Player / ...), or

2. Enter your tags in Easytag in UTF-8 and then convert them with something like ID3iconv[1]

[1] See http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~zf/id3iconv/

Ricardo Espinoza wrote:

Hello!

I tried to find an answer to my problem but i can't find it, at least no
the reason i want, so i'll ask here, hope someone already fixed this or
tell me that it's not possible right now.

Anyway, i'm usign id3lib 3.8.3 (lastest) and easytag 1.99.11
What i want it's the unicode characters to work in the mp3 tags, for
example, i have several songs using japanese characters, so for me it's
better to have them as japanese and not romanized chars, so i downloaded
easytag, compiled it and fill the tags with this, but what did i found
out? that when i try Rhythmbox i see garbled text.
I changed my easytag preferences to always use Unicode but that didn't
do the trick, when i save them and reload it (rhythmbox or easytag) they
are messed up. But i believe info is still there, because if i try
"id3info * > test.txt" and i open it with gedit i can see the correct
tag information.
What's wrong? Rhythmbox not reading as UTF8? Everything will be fixed
with id3v2.4 ? Need extra parameters? Special config?

:)

Thanks for reading this!