Re: [Easytag-mailing] =?iso-8859-1?Q?germa?= =?iso-8859-1?B?biB1bWxhdXQgY2hhcmFjdGVycyAo5Cz8LPYp?= in filenames

Jérôme Couderc <j couderc ifrance com> [12:03:03 23:30] wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
>    Which system are you using?
> I'm not sure, but I think to have had the same problem under RedHat 7.3
> with french characters.
I am running a gentoo system. But thanks to Götz, I was able to solve
the problem in the meanwhile - it is a locale problem.

I wanted to have german characters in the filenames, but still have
english messages, dates and stuff. Gentoo does by default no export of
the LANG environment variable (though the Keymap is set in rc.conf). My
solution is to export just the LC_CTYPE variable which corresponds to
the character type in /etc/profile, leaving everything else as it is:
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE=de_DE@euro
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

In your case, Jerome, I would suggest you to try
export LC_CTYPE="fr_FR@euro" . Check if you have that that locale file
(in Gentoo: /usr/share/i18n/locales/ ).

Ah, I almost forgot: I mounted that stuff via samba, and that at first
gave me a hazzle, too, obscuring the real problem even more. Problem
solved by setting
#character set = ISO8859-15
#client code page = 850
in my smb.conf file.

> >As far as I worked it out, it has nothing to do with the "Replace
> >illegal characters in filename (windows) function or the character
> >conversion. Or did I get something wrong?
Problem solved, but I am still not sure what that function does. What
are illegal characters in filenames? Is that the windows restriction for
characters like :,|\? in filenames?

Thanks again to Götz who gave me a hint for the right direction!
Best wishes,

        Andreas