Re: dogtail epiphany problems

I will answer in-line as this may help understand what I am trying to do.  I have indented David's items to separate them for readability.

Bob

       Are you able to run a full gnome session in this environment?  That
       might help, assuming DBus is supported there.

My basic answer is I don't know.  How would you setup gdm to work on a remote X terminal??

       But a higher-level question here: what are you trying to do?
       - test a "web 2.0" AJAX-style website (which Dogtail might handle well)
       - test an old-style website? (recording and playing back http requests
       might be a better approach)
       - test browser support for your HTML?
       - try out the technology?

What I am trying to do is set automated test of our custom written CRM web application for our QA group.
I just have to believe that the OPENSOURCE tools do work better and a lot cheaper than the tools
that they tend to purchase now.

       Dogtail has been designed to deal with rich clients running on GNOME,
       and we've done the bulk of development on Linux (though e.g. it works on
       Solaris).  It may work under Cygwin, but might not.

       It partially works with web UIs, but that's not been the main focus, so
       expect to have to do some development work here if that's what you want

I don't mind doing development work.  If fact my boss loves it because it stops me from picking on our Oracle DBA.  Its not a much fun as it use to be.  It is just too easy now with Oracle putting out a ripped off copy of Redhat's Fantastic work and saying that they have to do this because they can do better.  YA RIGHT....  Sorry about digressing.  I have just started with python but I program in perl and C. So one more language won't hurt.  And helping my QA people is just more fun - finding all the bugs that the programmers put in.

       So if you're hoping for a drop-in solution for AJAX web testing, the
       project isn't at that stage yet - but if you want to send patches etc
       that would be great.  It's great for driving rich client apps around
       though.

Not necessarily if I have to build out the data for glade info then that can be done with a couple of custom tools.

       Trying the "sniff" application would be the next step in debugging this,
       if you want to dive in.

I have the sniff application up and running and am working on some sort of solution to the problem.

        Hope this helps
       Dave

Bob Teeter