GJS changes in GNOME 3.35.1

Hi list,

Two things to note about the imminent release of GJS:

- It will be numbered 1.63.1 instead of 1.59.1. The rationale is here: https://discourse.gnome.org/t/next-stable-series-of-gjs-numbered-1-64/1785

- It will include a Meson build system. This is now the preferred way to build it; however, the old Autotools build system is still available for a transitional period. Unless there is a good reason not to, I intend to remove the Autotools build system in GJS 1.63.2 in a month. Note that the list of symbols exported in libgjs is not identical between the two build systems, due to some unclarity in whatever magic Libtool does behind the scenes in its -exported-symbols-regex option. We have an issue open to fix this (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gjs/issues/194) but it should be harmless for the time being, since these are symbols that aren't listed in installed headers.

While I have your attention, this is also a heads up that I intend to switch from SpiderMonkey 60 to 68 as a dependency sometime during the GNOME 3.35 development cycle, as soon as I can get some necessary patches merged into Firefox. There are build instructions for SpiderMonkey as a library here: https://github.com/spidermonkey-embedders/spidermonkey-embedding-examples/blob/esr60/docs/Building%20SpiderMonkey.md These instructions were written by me in cooperation with Mozilla, and will be updated for SpiderMonkey 68 when it becomes available.

Best regards,
--
Philip