Re: Advice for Nautilus to gtk4

We will do that in case it's needed, I'm actually hopeful it won't be necessary and we will able to release it off from master. But if not, branching from 3.30 it is. I will update here once we're closer to the deadline.


On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 16:24, Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org> wrote:
Thanks all for the answers, I didn't realize about the possibility on doing 3.32 just as a branch of 3.30. We will do that then since seems the favorite solution.


On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 19:05, Ernestas Kulik <ernestask gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 10:28 -0600, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 6:28 AM, Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org>
> wrote:
> > Of course, the third option is to "wait and see"
> Yeah you don't need to decide now. IMO it's fine to merge the GTK+ 4
> work into master now. Then in Februrary, when it's time to release
> 3.31.90, you can release it off of master if you think the GTK+ 4
> port is ready, or (more likely IMO) branch gnome-3-32 from the gnome-
> 3-30 branch and release 3.31.90 there instead. Please make your final
> decision by 3.31.90, though, to not cause surprises for distros after
> that point in the release cycle.
> We should certainly avoid releasing a nautilus 3.32.0 that isn't
> actually ready for all distros. GNOME software isn't supposed to be
> bad -- that's not a feature -- and our stable releases are not meant
> to be skipped. The stable release should be stab le! So i f the GTK+
> 4 work in master isn't ready for stable distros come February, then I
> would just not make the stable releases off of that branch.
> /$0.02
> Michael

I’m inclined to agree with team sanity here - we don’t want a broken
3.32.0, even if distros can ignore it. And, even if we don’t see the
new toys in GTK+ 4 by 3.34 (revamped shortcuts and DnD), we can do
things to release a minimally broken “Nautilus 4”.

/me throws in a couple of crowns.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]