Re: Advice for Nautilus to gtk4

Thanks all for the answers, I didn't realize about the possibility on doing 3.32 just as a branch of 3.30. We will do that then since seems the favorite solution.


On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 19:05, Ernestas Kulik <ernestask gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 10:28 -0600, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 6:28 AM, Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org>
> wrote:
> > Of course, the third option is to "wait and see"
> Yeah you don't need to decide now. IMO it's fine to merge the GTK+ 4
> work into master now. Then in Februrary, when it's time to release
> 3.31.90, you can release it off of master if you think the GTK+ 4
> port is ready, or (more likely IMO) branch gnome-3-32 from the gnome-
> 3-30 branch and release 3.31.90 there instead. Please make your final
> decision by 3.31.90, though, to not cause surprises for distros after
> that point in the release cycle.
> We should certainly avoid releasing a nautilus 3.32.0 that isn't
> actually ready for all distros. GNOME software isn't supposed to be
> bad -- that's not a feature -- and our stable releases are not meant
> to be skipped. The stable release should be stab le! So i f the GTK+
> 4 work in master isn't ready for stable distros come February, then I
> would just not make the stable releases off of that branch.
> /$0.02
> Michael

I’m inclined to agree with team sanity here - we don’t want a broken
3.32.0, even if distros can ignore it. And, even if we don’t see the
new toys in GTK+ 4 by 3.34 (revamped shortcuts and DnD), we can do
things to release a minimally broken “Nautilus 4”.

/me throws in a couple of crowns.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]