Re: Maintaining / Helping out on Dia

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:50 AM Zander Brown <zbrown gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, 2018-12-04 at 22:20 -0500, Alejandro Imass wrote:

The Gtk3 -> 4 transition should be much smoother, just a bit monotonous

I have heard of people suggesting to use JSX for GTK 4, so not sure why the "shit" comment about React earlier. In fact, React would probably be the best bet of survival or rebirth for DIA. But heck what do I know, right ?

That's more of a general play with GObject and is unrelated to Gtk4 (And nobody is seriously suggesting we scrap Dia and start again in _javascript_ are they?)

Well, actually I did suggest that, at least that we discuss the different options and listen to the users to where they want this product to go next.

My comments are just general and I haven't honestly looked into the technical details and up to this point.

You seem to know exactly what needs to be done to get through the GTK 2 bump, and it awesome that at least someone does and understands the urgency to AT LEAST bump it up to GTK 3. We use DIA on daily basis and don't want to see it die. So we could cough up some cash and finance some of this effort.

In your opinion is is too crazy to suggest separating the UI/UX from the logic and salvaging the C code, templates and all the other non-UI stuff  as a "backend".