Re: Maintaining / Helping out on Dia

Greetings, Alejandro Imass!

IMHO maybe a fork is required to take DIA to the next level and separate it
from GNOME even if you decide to keep using GTK and move to 3 or whatever.
More than the actual graphics library I would look into taking the things
that are really valuable from the current code and perhaps think of a
complete re-write with React, Anguar, Ember or whatever. I would get out of
XML and go to JSON and re-write the app into a React front-end with a
corresponding backend and API. IMHO the greatest long term existential
threat to DIA is not Visio or Omnigraffle, it's draw.io

Sounds so much NIH, I don't even want to start arguing.
XML (specifically SVG) is a solid base. You can do wonders with it, all that
is needed is an improvement in rendering (handling) of shapes.

There's very little need to be changed, only moved forward in the basically
same direction it has been always moving.

All your fancy "Angular, React, and shit" are just overgrown, uncontrollable shit.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...