Re: Maintaining / Helping out on Dia

The question isn’t so much as to what utilities that Día uses, nor what platform is managing the code.

The discussion should be about is there anyone that wants to maintain Dia for Windows, and who is prepared to maintain Día for Linux.

Until those to questions are answered, any other discussion is academic.

From: dia-list <dia-list-bounces gnome org> on behalf of Alejandro Imass <aimass yabarana com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 2:52 pm
To: discussions about usage and development of dia
Subject: Re: Maintaining / Helping out on Dia

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:20 PM Alejandro Imass <aimass yabarana com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 6:12 PM Thomas HARDING <tom thomas-harding name> wrote:
Hi, all !

So,

Le 04/12/2018 à 11:21, Eduard Nicodei via dia-list a écrit :

So, I think that's a good start point : why Dia, an unmaintained
software, has *no* competitor /on its segment/ ?

DIA is very unique I give you that. But draw.io is a huge risk for DIA and similar programs, and that's just naming one.

[...]

Obviously, Dia could _also_ work networked, in the future, or produce
fancy views, MS-Visio like, when you need to impress commercials (we can
imagine a toggle button "turn on fancy"), or at option use/produce other
data structures such as Json.

But keep in scope to keep the tool simple, stupid and powerfull.

Yeah these things are important. But there are other problems. For example, GTK2 is completely obsolete. GTK 3 was released in 2011. I mean, seriously?
The port to GTK3 is probably not straightforward (and never mind 4 which should be quickly approaching) , so again, IMHO it would be a good time to re-think where people want to take this project.

I have heard of people suggesting to use JSX for GTK 4, so not sure why the "shit" comment about React earlier. In fact, React would probably be the best bet of survival or rebirth for DIA. But heck what do I know, right ?

Just for reference:

So why not think in this direction or node-gtk or something along these lines and get some fresh blood in here.

Not so "shit" now, eh?

Best,
Alex